Easy vegan cupcakes with buttercream frosting- the perfect mini celebration cakes, and made with fresh blackberries (no food dye). They are moist, fluffy, flavoursome and perfect with or without the buttercream.
For the cupcakes
1/2 cup (125ml) soy milk (or preferred plant based milk)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup (125ml) light-flavoured oil
3/4 cup (165g) coconut sugar
1 tsp (5ml) pure vanilla extract
1 cup (132g) plain flour
1/3 cup (35g) raw cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
50g vegan butter
1/2 cup (75g) powdered, organic sugar
2 tsp (10ml) pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup blackberries
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 6 muffin tray with patty pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix milk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes to create a buttermilk. Once thickened, add oil, sugar and vanilla and whisk to combine.
3. Sift dry ingredients into the bowl, then gently whisk until the batter just comes together. You want it to be smooth but not over mixed- as soon as the lumps disappear then you’re done. Spoon into patty pans until 3/4 full (no more, as they rise a fair bit). Bake for 16-20 mins, or until an inserted skewer comes out with only a few crumbs.
4. Allow cupcakes to cool 5 mins before turning onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before icing.
5. MAKE BUTTERCREAM. add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Using an electric beater, whip for a few minutes or until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cold cupcakes and enjoy!
Keywords: vegan, buttercream, cupcakes, baking,