These easy berry gummies are a healthy dessert or snack for anyone, but particularly for kids- they’re filled with healthy fats, gut-healing gelatin, antioxidants and immune boosting honey.
- 4 Tbsp gelatine powder
- 2 Tbsp freeze dried berry powder (this week we used black current)
- 1–3 tsp raw honey (see notes)
- 1/4 cold cold filtered water
- 1 2/3 cup hot (not boiling) water- around 70c is ideal.
Optional extras: you can add a teaspoon (or two!) of anything else you’d like to add- this might be your favourite vitamin c, herbal extracts, powdered herbs or even powdered good supplements (like liver). It’s so easy to sneak in lots of goodies. I like to add extracts of cordyceps + gubinge (wholefood vitamin c) powder.
- Add the gelatin, berry powder, 1 tsp honey + any optional extras into a small jug with a lip for pouring (I use a 1.5L Pyrex jug). Mix well. Pour in the cold water + stand for 2 minutes. This is called blooming- don’t skip! Mix well (and remove any lumps you can see by whisking or squashing with a spoon).
- Next, slowly add the hot water- I add about 1/4 cup at a time and quickly mix through, then repeat until all the hot water has been used. This step is important- boiling hot water will destroy any antioxidants present (in the berry powder + vitamin c), so slowly adding the hot water (NOT boiling water) is best.
- Once mixed really well taste the mixture and add extra honey as desired. Pour into silicone moulds, or simply a glass dish lined with baking paper. Set in fridge for 1-2 hours, or overnight. Make sure etc gummies are quite firm to the touch- when you poke them they should be bouncy and semi-firm. Transfer to an airtight container. They last up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
Note: Alternatively this process can be done in a thermo/magi. Simply add everything in, including the full amount of water, but make sure the water is all cold water. Bloom as described above, then set the thermo/magi and heat to 70c.
- If you want sweeter gummies add more honey but start with the smaller amount as you can always add more at the end.