This Healthy fruit nut slice is free from dates, refined sugar, grains and gluten and contains 7 wholesome ingredients.
140g (1 cup) raw cashews (see notes)
210g (3 cups) shredded coconut, divided
115g (1 cup) goji berries
100g (1/2 cup) hemp hearts (see notes)
1/4 tsp salt
30g (1/4 cup) coconut flour (do not omit)
100g 85% dark chocolate (see notes)
1 Tbsp preferred nut or seed butter
- Soak goji berries in water water for 5 minutes (see blog post if you want to ferment the berries, and make probiotic goji bars). Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Add cashews and 2 cups of shredded coconut to a lined baking tray and add to the preheated oven. Bake for around 10 minutes but do not burn. After 6 minutes toss (and try to move the outer contents into the middle and vice versus) and check on them every minute after. Once they are turning golden brown remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the nuts and coconut cool drain the goji berries into a sieve and use a spoon to gently squeeze out any excess water through the sieve.
- Add cooled nuts and coconut to a food processor and blend for 1 minute. After 1 minute the mixture should start to look like a chunky nut butter- there will still be lots of visible texture however some it will be in-between a liquid and a solid state. If you need to blend for longer, do.
- Add strained goji berries and blend for 30 seconds or until a bright orange/red paste has formed.
- Next, add the hemp hearts, remaining coconut, coconut flour and salt and process until very well combined. Press about 2 tbsp of the mixture into each hole of a silicone muffin tray (alternatively, use patty pans in a metal muffin tray). Set aside.
- Finely chop dark chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl with your choice of nut or seed butter. Bring 2cm water to the boil in a small saucepan. Place bowl on top of the saucepan. Reduce heat to low, gently melting until the chocolate is fully melted (stir occasionally). You can melt the chocolate in a microwave if you prefer. Spoon the chocolate over the goji bases and set in the fridge for 2 hours.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge (5-7 days) or in the freezer (up to 1 month).
- To ferment the goji berries and make these healthy nut bars probiotic, see blog post notes.
- Hemp hearts can be substituted for sesame seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Cashews can be substituted for store bough roasted cashews (you can then skip the roasting step), macadamia or almonds.
- If you are wanting to make these keto-friendly, use keto-friendly chocolate.
Keywords: Keto friendly, low sugar, healthy snack recipes, fruit and nut.