A healthy vegan beetroot muffin that is made in one bowl- and with ingredients you will already have in your pantry. Delicious on their own, or topped with a lush avocado frosting- they will be a veggie-filled family favourite.
2 cups (240g) plain flour
2/3 cup (65g) cacao powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant coffee (optional)
1 1/2 cups preferred plant milk (We use coconut)*
2 tsp (10mL) apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup (125g) pureed beetroot
1 cup (125g) coconut sugar
2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (300g) avocado flesh
1/2 cup (105g) coconut oil
1/2 cup (40g) cacao powder
1 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 12 holed muffin tray with patty pans. Ste aside.
- Add milk and apple cider vinegar to a large mixing bowl. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then mix in sugar and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Sift in flour, cacao, baking powder, bicarb soda, and add salt and coffee. Combine until smooth, then gently fold in beetroot. Spoon mixture evenly between the 12 patty pans, then bake for 15-18 mins, or until cooked when tested***. Allow to cool for a few minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING
- Met coconut oil over a low flame. Once liquified, turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- Add avocado, cacao, maple syrup and vanilla to a blender****. Blend until very smooth, then (while the blender is running) drizzle in the melted oil coconut oil and continue to blend until completely incorporated. Scrape down the blender sides, as needed. Transfer the mix to a bowl and set in the fridge for at least 20 mins before pipping/spreading onto completely cooled muffins.
*We used coconut milk (the thin, boxed variety- not canned) but soy, almond, oat or rice will work, too.
**coconut sugar can be substituted for your favourite granulated sugar- though brown or turbinado sugar will be the best substitution.
*** The best test is to use your finger and gently press the top of the muffin. It should spring back instantly. If you test with a skewer, you want to bake until a few moist crumbs are left on skewer after insertion.
**** A stick blender can work well too. Just add everything to a tall cup or bowl.
Keywords: One bowl, healthy, vegan, plant based, egg free, dairy free