Homemade smokey butter beans… Need I say anymore? Ok, i’ll elaborate a little… These homemade smokey butter beans have become a huge hit in our household, and with good reason. They’re ready in 20 minutes, are free from refined sugar (unlike store bought baked beans), use minimal ingredients (5 ingredients, plus spices), are easy to make in bulk and stock up the freezer, delicious at any time of the day and a great source of protein and fibre. Plus, my kids love them- and thats always a win!
WHAT YOULL NEED FOR OUR HOMEMADE SMOKEY BUTTER BEANS
- Butter beans
- Red onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Smoked paprika
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Ground turmeric
- Ground cumin
- Ground cinnamon
- Cherry tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- Tomato paste
WHY YOULL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Ready from start to finish in under 20 minutes
- Simple, wholesome food- the backbone of any good diet. Uses only 10 ingredients, 4 of those being spices.
- Versatile- this dish doesn’t use many ingredients but its still super simple to mix it up if you don’t have everything on you– Don’t have butter beans? No worries, you can use any bean you like, even a can of chickpeas is yum!
- Beans are packed full of protein, fibre, iron, B vitamins.
- Spices not only add tonnes of flavour to your dishes but they’ve been praised by our ancestors by centuries for there amazing medicinal qualities.
- Cost effective- our homemade vegan baked beans wouldn’t be more then a few $$ to chuck together!
THE BEST WAY TO EAT OUR BEANS
- On thick-cut sourdough with greens, sautéed mushrooms and sauerkraut (I just had this for lunch, so yummy)
- In a baked potatoe with a fresh crunchy coleslaw.
- In a nourish bowl with brown rice or quinoa and pickled veggies.
- With rice and veggie sausages.
- A smokey burrito filling.
- The classic toasted sandwich with mustard, tomato and vegan cheese.
- Or simply a protein filled snack with avocado and cashew cheese.
If you love our smokey butter beans, we think you’ll also love these;
- 20 minute cauliflower curry
- Vegan pasta bake
- Crispy sage and cashew pumpkin pasta
- Sprouted beetroot hummus
We hope you like this recipe as much as we do! We love hearing your feedback, so if you try this recipe please leave a review or a comment at the bottom of the page. Have a great day.Print
This bean recipe is a easy protein packed side or main dish that is naturally vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and made from whole foods.
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2–1 tsp chilli flakes*
- 300g cherry tomatoes (2 cups) or 1 can crushed tomatoes**
- 2 cans butter beans, drained
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- Heat a skillet over a medium flame. Add oil, then onion. Sauté for 5 mins, then add garlic and spices and fry for 1 minute.
- Add beans, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil and cook over a medium flame for 10 mins, stirring regularly.
*Add chilli flakes to your palette
** If you are using the canned tomatoes, you can reduce water to 1/2 cup