These paleo chocolate chip cookies will be your new obsession- moist and chewy with a light crunch. Made with only 7 ingredients and absolutely loved by kids and adults alike. Free from grains, refined sugar and eggs. vegan option available. Nut free option available.
140g (1/2 cup) hulled tahini
125g (1/2 cup) melted butter or coconut oil (choose coconut oil if making these vegan or paleo)
150g (1/2 cup, 125ml) pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla beans
55g (1/2 cup) coconut flour
240g (2 cups) blanched (or activated) almond meal (see notes if nut free)
1/2 tsp fine salt
100g dark chocolate chips or chocolate chopped into chunks (choose paleo if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 175c (350F) and line 2 x large cookie sheets/tray with a double layer of baking paper. Set aside. I recommend using kitchen scales for this recipe however if you are using cup measurements I have used Australian standard cups and the spoon and scrape method of measuring.
- In a large mixing bowl add tahini, butter, maple syrup and vanilla and whisk together well. Add coconut flour, almond meal and salt and mix well. If the dough seems wet at first set aside for 5 minutes so the coconut flour can absorb the excess liquid then add chocolate chips and fold through.
- You can make small or large cookies. For small cookies measure out 24 small balls, roughly 1 Tbsp in size. If you have scales weigh these to 30g each. Roll each portion into a neat ball, placing 12 balls per cookie sheet, spread apart. Use your hand or a cup to flatten each ball- the cookies will not spread much so flatten to around 1cm in thickness.
- For large cookies measure out 12 large balls, roughly 2 Tbsp in size. If you have scales weigh these to 60g each. Roll each portion into a neat ball, placing 6 balls per cookie sheet, spread apart. Use your hand or a cup to flatten each ball- the cookies will not spread much so flatten to around 1.5cm in thickness.
- NOTE; To prevent burning I like to cook the cookie sheets separately. Ideally place the cookie sheet/tray on the middle rack of your oven to prevent the bottom browning too quickly. If you wish to bake both trays of cookies at the same time it is advisable to add 2 minutes to the total baking time and swap the trays half way.
- Bake the small sized cookies for 10-13 minutes or until the tops just begin to brown. I bake mine for 12 minutes. Bake the large sized cookies for 14-17 minutes or until the tops just begin to brown.
- To make this recipe paleo use coconut oil and paleo chocolate
- To make this recipe vegan use coconut oil and vegan chocolate
- For a nut free option substitute almond meal for sunflower meal, by weight. The taste is slightly more nutty and earthy, but very delicious.
- I do not recommend swapping maple syrup for sugar of any kind.