A whole food recipe that uses only 5 ingredients, these pecan chocolate brownie bites are no bake, gluten and grain free and easily made vegan and dairy free with only 15 minutes prep time.
This post may contain affiliate codes which I earn a small commission off. This costs you no extra (in fact you get a discount) and is a great way to support my work for free.
Leaving the depths of Winter- albeit a winter the felt light and left me wondering a little if we even had a Winter- into Spring means that I see a notice too in what we make for snacks for the week. Winter, and autumn before it, is unequivocally about spice, baking and slowness. Snacks are warm, cosy and made over hours at times- a true ode to the seasons that I adore so much.
Spring arrives and of course our eating habits morph too and while I wouldn’t describe these pecan chocolate brownie bites as quintessentially Spring, their simplicity and easy is.
5 ingredients (6, but do we count salt? No, we do not). A food processor. A tin, A heat proof bowl. A quick throw together that shouldn’t be overlooked in its deliciousness- because simple and quick can (should?) mean very delicious.
Well, these brownie bites are just for thing for you if you fancy something sweet, salty, nutty, chewy, rich and butty.
So, lets dive in with what you’ll need.
- Pecans are my favourite nut to use in combination with chocolate, and their texture is perfect for no bake recipes. Pecans are soft, buttery, slightly bitter and earthy and when blended into crumbs have a wonderful chewiness. Pecans are mostly found growing outside of Australia and so can be expensive- walnuts are a nice, local alternative (just ensure they are fresh to avoid bitterness).
- Dates are the natural sweetener and binder of this recipe. I used organic dried dates ( I prefer ones like these, which are free form vegetable oil) but fresh/Medjool dates will work too.
- Cacao powder is mixed into the pecans for a chocolate brownie flavour. I love this cacao here (it has the best flavour in my opinion) but you could also used a Dutch processed cocoa if you have that on hand.
- Ghee or coconut oil-we just use a small amount of ghee to bring this pecan mixture together help everything stick. You could use extra dates if you instead, but I prefer these pecan chocolate brownie bites with some nice fat added in.
- Dark chocolate– I like to use one that is 70-80%, but of course you can use whatever chocolate you have on hand.
- Salt– I don’t count this as a 6th ingredient as its such a staple in every home, and easily omitted if you don’t have any for some reason. We add just a pinch for flavour, plus if you have salt flakes they look (and taste) beautiful on top.
HOW TO MAKE PECAN CHOCOLATE BROWNIE BITES
The recipe is so easy- you just need a food processor to make the filling. Add pecans and cacao, and blitz until you have fine crumbs.
Now, add the dates and ghee. Blend again in your food processor for around 1 minutes. I like to check my mixture here- it should easily roll into a ball without falling apart, but should not be so sticky it sticks to your hand.
Shape your mix into little patties or balls then place onto a tray lined with baking paper. You could also press into a lined tin and make this into a slice if you prefer. Set in the freezer for an hour.
Now we melt our chocolate. I use a double boiler method but you can also use a microwave.
Remove pecan filling from freezer and immediately dip each bite into the melted chocolate.
Finally- add an extra pecan and some flakey sea salt.
After more no bake snack ideas? Try;
- Salted chocolate date fudge
- Spiced apple bliss balls
- Paleo chocolate coconut slice (coconut rough slice)
- Healthy vegan lemon slice
- Raw vegan brownie with chocolate ganache
- Healthy passionfruit bars
- Easy berry gummies
I hope you enjoy these pecan chocolate brownie bites as much as I do! If you try them we would love to hear from you below- your comments and reviews help others find this recipe too.
A whole food recipe that uses only 5 ingredients, these pecan chocolate brownie bites are no bake, gluten and grain free and easily made vegan.
- The recipe is so easy- you just need a food processor to make the filling. Add pecans and cacao, and blitz until you have fine crumbs. Some small chunks are ok!
- Now, add the dates and ghee. Blend again in your food processor for around 1 minutes. I like to check my mixture here- it should easily roll into a ball without falling apart, but should not be so sticky it sticks to your hand. If its too dry add extra ghee, if it is too wet add extra pecans. If you have a blender you can use this, but it will need you to use the tamper to get everything moving, or stop and scrap the sides regularly.
- Shape your mix into little patties or balls then place onto a tray lined with baking paper. You could also press into a lined tin and make this into a slice if you prefer. Now set in the freezer for an hour.
- Now we melt our chocolate. I use a double boiler method. Chop chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl. Add 2cm water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Sit the bowl of chocolate on the rim of the saucepan- the bowl should not be touching the water. Reduce heat to low and gently let, stirring occasionally, until liquid. You can also use a microwave to melt chocolate. Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 15 second increments, stirring between, until melted.
- Remove pecan filling from freezer and immediately dip each bite into the melted chocolate. This is easiest done using a fork. Allow excess chocolate to drip off before placing the chocolate covered bite on your lined tray.
- Optional; top with an extra pecan and some flakey salt.
Keywords: Brownie bites, no bake, pecans