This pistachio cranberry cashew cheese log is a wonderful way to add fermented foods into your diet, and is a great addition to any Christmas table. The flavour is tangy and bright, with pops of sweet cranberries and nutty pistachio.
It is that time of the year when we all want fancy cheese and crackers, but I know the pain (and expense) of buying good, dairy free cheese. Fear not- this pistachio cranberry cashew cheese log is so easy to make and has the classic umami flavour of cheese thanks to the easy fermentation process.
The cheese log is creamy, tangy, sweet, sour, salty, bright and with hints of umami.
I teamed up with OceanSpray to bring you this recipe, celebrating the delicious pop of sweet and fresh flavours that cranberries bring to a festive recipe. We used OceanSpray Craisins 50% less sugar dried cranberries, which you can check out here.
Fermented cashew cheese
To learn more about fermenting your own cashew cheese check out this informative post with everything you need to know. This tried and tested recipe is one of our most popular over on Instagram, and we love seeing everyone gain some confidence in the kitchen with fermenting.
I recommend investing is good fermenting jars or crocks. I love and use Kilner.
If you’re looking for a great recipe to use your fermented cheese in check out these delicious spinach and cheese stuffed giant pasta shells.
How to serve pistachio cranberry cashew cheese
- With your favourite crackers
- On a cheese platter with fresh seasonal fruits
- On top of sourdough toast with a drizzle of honey
- Chopped into cubes and mixed into a green salad
- With roquette, walnuts, diced cucumber and a drizzle of olive oil as a simple side salad
Looking for more devious festive vegan recipes? You might like to try;
- Fudgy vegan brownies
- Free from linzer cookies
- Easy vegan chocolate fudge with rose and pistachio
- Vegan pavlova recipe with mango and passionfruit
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. If you try it please leave a review and star rating below- it helps other people find this recipe too.
This very festive pistachio cranberry cashew cheese log is the perfect addition to any Christmas table. Naturally dairy free it is a great introduction to fermenting your own food, and the cranberries add delicious pops of sweetness.
1 ½ cups raw cashews
2 Tbsp sauerkraut brine
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled until its just warm
¼ tsp salt
2 Tbsp shelled pistachio nuts
1/3 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1/3 cup Ocean Spray dried cranberries
2 tsp honey (optional)
- I recommend reading this post in full to get a good understanding of how to nail your cashew cheese ferment.
- Soak cashews in water for 4 hours. Drain and rinse well, then place into a blender with sauerkraut brine, lemon juice and melted and cooled coconut oil. Blend until very smooth.
- Place cashew mixture into a very clean glass jar with an airtight lid. Leave in a warm spot out of direct sunlight to ferment for 24 hours, or until it is very bubbly. Transfer to a bowl and stir through salt, pistachio and cranberries.
- Place the cashew cheese in the fridge for 2+ hours to firm up, then transfer to a piece of baking paper and roll into a tight log. You can leave the cheese log this way for up to a week, until its ready to serve.
- When you’re ready to serve remove the cheese log from the fridge. Add the extra pistachio and cranberries to a food processor and finely chop, then lay onto a plate. Roll cheese log into the chopped mixture, using your fingers to press the topping into the cheese. Drizzle with optinoal honey. Serve on a cheese platter with crackers,fruit or whatever else you like.