This very festive pistachio cranberry cashew cheese log is the perfect addition to any Christmas table. Naturally dairy free it is a great introduction to fermenting your own food, and the cranberries add delicious pops of sweetness.
1 ½ cups raw cashews
2 Tbsp sauerkraut brine
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled until its just warm
¼ tsp salt
2 Tbsp shelled pistachio nuts
1/3 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1/3 cup Ocean Spray dried cranberries
2 tsp honey (optional)
- I recommend reading this post in full to get a good understanding of how to nail your cashew cheese ferment.
- Soak cashews in water for 4 hours. Drain and rinse well, then place into a blender with sauerkraut brine, lemon juice and melted and cooled coconut oil. Blend until very smooth.
- Place cashew mixture into a very clean glass jar with an airtight lid. Leave in a warm spot out of direct sunlight to ferment for 24 hours, or until it is very bubbly. Transfer to a bowl and stir through salt, pistachio and cranberries.
- Place the cashew cheese in the fridge for 2+ hours to firm up, then transfer to a piece of baking paper and roll into a tight log. You can leave the cheese log this way for up to a week, until its ready to serve.
- When you’re ready to serve remove the cheese log from the fridge. Add the extra pistachio and cranberries to a food processor and finely chop, then lay onto a plate. Roll cheese log into the chopped mixture, using your fingers to press the topping into the cheese. Drizzle with optinoal honey. Serve on a cheese platter with crackers,fruit or whatever else you like.