This healthy vegan lemon slice is seriously good, friends. I’m talking, possibly my favourite slice ever good and thats a big call. 7 ingredients, grain and gluten free options, easy peasy to whip up and a guaranteed crowd pleaser- you’re going to want to save this recipe.
Lemon slice was a childhood favourite for me, an Australian and New Zealand classic that was one of the first recipes kids master, back in my day. Zingy, chewy, nostalgic and… so incredibly sweet. Trying the slice as an adult I was bitterly disappointed and like so many things I loved as. child my fully grown human palette was not a fan.
So I created this healthy lemon slice instead. Naturally vegan, free from refined sugar and gluten free.
- Almond meal– I prefer to use almond flour for this recipe as it is finer and I like the texture better- however almond meal is much more readily available and still works great. Make sure you choose blanched almond meal or activated almond meal for this recipe.
- Rolled oats– a wholegrain, there are many different types of oats but we always use organic rolled oats. Steer clear of quick oats as they are the most highly processed, and be sure to choose certified gluten free if needed.
- Shredded coconut– the meat from fresh, whole coconut that has been dried and finely chopped. You can use flaked coconut too, just follow the gram measurements.
- Pure maple syrup– my go-to sticky sweetener, but you can substitute for any others you prefer, eg honey, agave, coconut nectar.
- Medjool dates– a fresh fruit perfect for raw cakes because of there ability to bind the mixture.
- Coconut oil– the oil extracted from the meat of a coconut. Butter is a delicious substitute here if you don’t like coconut oil.
- Coconut butter– delicious source of good fats coconut butter is simply coconut processed to a smooth paste.
- Lemon– the essential citrusy flavour of our slice!
- Food processor
- Cup measurements
- Heat proof bowl + small pot for boiling water
- A cake tin
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN COCONUT BUTTER
You can find coconut butter at your local health food store, or possibly your supermarket (if you’re lucky enough to have a good one!), but never fear if you can’t find it, its super easy to make it yourself from the comfort of your own home. It’ll not only be far more cost effective, but its quick and easy, earth friendly (yay for no packaging), and always satisfying when you’ve whipped up your very own irresistible coconut butter.
Note- Full disclosure: I have not been able to create a coconut butter as good as store bought- perhaps they use a stone ground variety?
So, here’s the very complicated recipe you guys… are you ready?
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- Simply blend shredded coconut in a food processor for 10 minutes, scrapping down the sides occasionally with a spatular.
- Store your coconut butter in a glass jar
If you want to have a go at making your own coconut condensed milk, try this recipe here.
If you love our vegan no bake lemon slice here’s a few of our other favourites to try
- Low carb vegan bliss balls
- Hazelnut, raspberry ganache bars
- Paleo vegan chocolate bread
- Pecan brownies with almond butter frosting
- Silky smooth cacao and vanilla bean slice
- Raw oceanic peppermint and white chocolate baby cakes
We hope you like this Healthy vegan lemon slice recipe as much as we do!
We love hearing your feedback, so if you try this recipe please leave a review or a comment at the bottom of the page. Have a great day.
This healthy vegan lemon slice has a delicious biscuity base perfectly paired with a creamy lemon coconut icing (minus all that sugar!). 7 ingredients, a grain + gluten free option, quick and easy to whip up and a guaranteed crowd pleaser (if you can bring yourself to share it..)
For the base
- 120g (1 cup) almond meal (we used activated)
- 45g (1/2 cup) rolled oats*
- 87g (1 1/4 cups) shredded coconut
- Pinch salt
- 75g (1/4 cup) pure maple syrup
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- Zest from 1 organic lemon
For the icing
- 62g (1/4 cup) coconut oil
- 62g (1/4 cup) coconut butter *(see notes), softened
- 40g (2 Tbsp) pure maple syrup
- 60g/ml (3 Tbsp) lemon juice
- Optional- 6 drops pure lemon essential oil .
1. Add almond meal, oats, coconut and salt to a food processor and pulse to combine. You want the result to be semi-fine, but can still be slightly chunky.
2. Add remaining base ingredients and pulse to combine. The dough should be moist enough to easily hold together. Press into the base of a lined tin (mine was 15cm square).
3. Next, make your icing. Gently melt coconut oil over a low flame then remove from heat- allow to cool down for 5 minutes. You should be able to stick your finger in comfortably once cooled enough. Add remaining ingredients and blend together with a stick/immersion blender. You can use a whisk here however you won’t get it as thick and creamy- it will still taste great though, so its an option.
4.Pour over base, sprinkle with extra coconut and set in fridge until the icing is firm.
5.Your slice will last 1 week in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer.
*You can use buckwheat groats instead of the oats for a grain free option. I tend to make this variety now, as I don’t like to eat oats when they have not been cooked.
To make your own coconut butter, read the blog post.
To soften coconut butter (coconut manna) half fill a saucepan and bring it almost to the boil. Grab your jar of coconut butter and ensure the lid is securely screwed down. Carefully immerse the jar into the saucepan of hot water, weighing down if necessary to avoid the jar falling over. Stand for approx 5 minutes, or until the coconut butter has become liquid. Note- if the temperature of your home is cold you may need to heat the water multiple times to melt a full jar of coconut butter.
Keywords: Vegan, healthy, lemon slice, real food recipes